We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi
Fusion of Indian food with international cuisine is what made Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi a name to reckon with in the hotel industry. Hailing from North India, Chef Harpal is a music lover and is fluent in English and five Indian languages - Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Oriya and Telugu.
A graduate from the catering school at Bhubaneshwar, he spent his initial years in learning different international cuisines, but later realized that his interest lay in unearthing the authentic regional Indian food.
Pursuing this goal Chef Harpal mastered the art of Indian food and created a niche for himself by learning authentic Hyderabadi food under Ustad Habib Pasha. Begum Mumtaz Khan, an authority in Hyderabadi cuisine, further helped him in enhancing his knowledge.
His quest for knowledge left him hungering for more and this led to his research on the link between Ayurveda and food. Chef Harpal strongly believes that today people are very health conscious and India cannot have a better blend of food and health if the Ayurveda beliefs were missing.
Having worked with Indian restaurants like Vintage – a Hyderabadi speciality restaurant, an Indian specialty restaurant in Luxembourg and Indian five star properties like Centaur Hotel-Juhu beach, The Oberoi - Bhubaneshwar, Hotel Tuli International - Vidarbha and The Regent – Mumbai, Chef Harpal feels he received a breakthrough opportunity, when he joined The Regent, Mumbai, where he had the opportunities to develop the concepts for the restaurants.
His vision and greatest desire is to popularize the know-how of traditional Indian recipes and concept designing for restaurants in international cookery schools, across the globe.
- Chef Harpal has organized various Indian food festivals at the international level.
- He has received a letter of appreciation from the Australian High Commission praising the quality of food as the best in the country.
- Achieved the highest revenue for any Food promotion held in Regent Jakarta till date. He has also conducted the most successful Cooking schools at the Regent Jakarta and The Peninsula Manila.
- Hosted the first ever episode of the programme Khana Khazana on ZEE TV in the year 1993.
- Conceptualized and executed the opening of Khazana an Indian specialty restaurant in Dubai for Khana Khazana India Pvt. Ltd. The restaurant Khazana has been running successfully in Dubai and has won the best new entry restaurants award in Dubai in the year 1998.
- Conducted the most successful Ancient Indian Food Promotion on Indian Airlines, which won the Silver Medal in the IFCA awards in Germany.
- Developed menus for SOTC for two consecutive years; done a complete survey of food being served in Europe for SOTC.
- Headed a team for creating diabetic Indian desserts, and has experience in conceptualizing new range of chocolate mithais for FMCG companies.
- Developed recipes for Wockhardt for Oncology and Nephrology patients.
- Designed menus for all outlets except Chinese at The Regent Mumbai. Participated in Management Programmes conducted there and also been part of the team trained by The Regent International trainers.
Host of the show Turban Tadka
The true flavour of Punjab! This show is all about maa ki daal and makkai di roti! Rustic and rooted in the cooking traditions of India. Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi, known as the most entertaining and energetic chef, takes you on a gastronomic journey in his funny and lively manner. It not only reveals the cooking secrets of authentic Indian food but also the use of ingenious ingredients. A show with lots of Namak Shamal and oodles of fun. Harpal style!