We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
350 grams cottage cheese (paneer), cut into slabs
4 wheat flour chapattis
9 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion
Juice of ½ lemon
1 green chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsps olive oil
Salt to taste
Oil for grilling
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsps tahini
1 large beetroot, peeled and cut into juliennes
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into juliennes
½ cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1. Grind together 6 garlic cloves, cumin seeds, roughly chopped onion, lemon juice, green chilli, olive oil and salt to a fine paste.
2. Spread the prepared paste on both sides of cottage cheese slabs. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
3. Heat some oil in a non-stick tawa. Place the marinated cottage cheese slabs on it and grill till golden and evenly done from both the sides.
4. Heat chapattis on the same tawa.
5. Combine mayonnaise and tahini in a bowl and mix well.
6. Roughly chop remaining garlic cloves and add to the bowl and mix well.
7. Place warm chapattis on the worktop. Spread a spoonful of the mayonnaise mixture on them. Top with beetroot and carrot juliennes and lettuce in the centre.
8. Cut grilled cottage cheese slabs into fingers and place on the lettuce. Bring the ends together and wrap.
9. Fold the prepared shawarmas in fancy paper napkins and serve immediately.