We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Pear Idli Sandwich
½ red USA Pear
½ green USA Pear
Readymade idli batter as required
2 plain steamed idlis
Oil for deep-frying and greasing
½ small tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
½ small onion, finely chopped
¼ green bell pepper, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Crushed black peppercorns to taste
Cream cheese for spreading
½ medium cucumber, cut into roundels
½ medium tomato, cut into roundels
- Grease idli mould with some oil. Heat some water in the steamer, cover and bring to boil.
- Discard stem and bottom of red USA Pear, finely chop and transfer in a bowl. Add chopped tomato, onion, green bell pepper, salt and crushed peppercorns and mix.
- Put a spoonful of the batter in the greased moulds, put some chopped pear-vegetable mixture on top and cover it with some more batter.
- Place the stand in the steamer and steam idlisfor 5-10 minutes or till done. Remove from heat and cool.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Slice the plain idlis into half and deep-fry them in hot oil till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Discard stem and bottom of remaining green USA Pear and cut into roundel. Place the fried idlis on the worktop and spread some cream cheese on them. Place a cucumber roundel, a tomato roundel and a pear roundel on 2 fried idlis.
- Sprinkle some salt and crushed peppercorns on top, cover each with remaining fried idlis and insert a toothpick in the center.
- Demould the steamed idli sandwiches using a spoon. Pile them on a serving platter and insert a satay stick in the center. Place fried idli sandwiches and serve hot with chutney and sambhar.