We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Pear Payasam with Malpua
½ green USA Pear
2 cups milk + as required
½ cup rice, soaked
¾ cup refined flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup rabdi
Ghee for shallow-frying
A pinch saffron strands + for garnishing
1 tsp green cardamom powder
¼ cup castor sugar
1½ cups sugar syrup, infused with few saffron strands
Blanched pistachios for garnishing
- To prepare pear payasam, heat 2 cups milk in a non-stick pan and bring to boil.
- Grind soaked rice alongwith some water to make a coarse paste. Add it to boiled milk, mix and cook for a minute.
- Discard stem and bottom of a USA Pear, peel and finely chop. Add to payasam mixture, mix and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- To prepare malpua, take flour in a bowl. Add baking powder and rabdi and whisk. Add some milk and whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Heat sufficient ghee in akadai.
- Add saffron to the batter and whisk. Add ½ tsp cardamom powder and whisk well.
- Add castor sugar topayasammixture and mix. Add remaining cardamom powder, mix and cook till sugar melts.
- Heat sugar syrup in another non-stick pan. Switch off heat.
- Put a ladle of malpua batter in hot ghee and shallow-fry till golden. Drain in hot sugar syrup and soak for a minute.
- Finely slice blanched pistachios.
- Transfer soaked malpuas on a plate and halve. Put halved malpuasin 2 different serving martini glasses and pour some pear payasam.
- Serve immediately garnished with sliced pistachios and saffron strands.