We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Pear Sponge Pie
2 USA Pears (1 red and 1 green)
⅓ cup refined flour + for dusting
30 grams butter + for greasing and brushing
1 tbsp fresh yeast
Salt to taste
A pinch +⅓cup + 2 tbsps castor sugar
½ tspcinnamon powder
½ cup crumbled cake
Icing sugar as required
- Preheat oven at 180°C. Grease a round baking tin with some butter and dust with some flour.
- Take fresh yeast in a bowl. Add a pinch of castor sugar and 2 tbsps of warm water, mix and set aside to activate.
- Sieve flour in a bowl. Add salt and ⅓cup castor sugar and mix. Make a well in the center, add activated yeast and mix well.
- Add some warm water and knead into a soft dough.
- Dust some flour in another bowl and transfer the dough. Cover with cling film and prove for 10-15 minutes.
- Discard stem and bottom of pears and cut into small pieces.
- Heat chopped pears in a non-stick pan and mix. Add 2 tbsps castor sugar and cinnamon powder, mix and cook till sugar melts and thick. Remove from heat and cool.
- Dust the worktop with some flour, transfer proven dough and knock back to release air. Put 30 grams butter and knead into a soft dough. Dust some flour and knead again.
- Dust the worktop with some flour, take a medium portion of dough and set aside.
- Roll out the remaining dough to make a thick sheet. Line the greased tin with the sheet, covering the edges as well.
- Add crumbled cake to pear mixture and mix well. Put the mixture in lined baking tin and level it out.
- Dust the worktop with some flour and roll out the medium dough portion to make a thick sheet. Place the sheet on top of pear mixture, covering it.
- Discard the excess dough from the tin using a knife and lightly press edges to seal. Set aside to prove for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the baking tin on a baking tray. Place the baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush some butter on top and cool.Demould and transfer the pear onto a serving platter.
- Sift some icing sugar over the pie, cut into wedges and serve.