We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Pear Stuffed Roast Chicken
½ green USA Pear
½ red USA Pear
1 whole chicken with skin
½ cup chicken mince
1½ tbsp oil + for greasing and drizzling
2 tbsps chopped garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Crushed black peppercorns to taste
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
8-10 almonds, chopped
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsps butter
Juice of ½lemon
1 large potato, cut into wedges
2 small carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Preheat oven at 200°C. Grease a baking tray with some oil.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Add 1 tbsp chopped garlic and sauté till golden. Add onion and sauté till translucent. Switch off heat and cool.
- Discard stem and bottom of both pears, halve and cut into small pieces.
- Take chicken mince in a bowl. Add chopped pears and mix. Add sautéed garlic-onion mixture and mix well.
- Add salt, crushed black peppercorns and ½ tsp dried mixed herbs and mix. Add almonds and mix well.
- To prepare marinade, combine Worcestershire sauce, salt, crushed black peppercorns, remaining garlic, butter, ½ tbsp oil and lemon juice in another bowl and mix well.
- Loosen the skin of whole chicken, put some marinade between the skin and flesh and spread well. Rub remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Seal the head of marinated chicken using a toothpick to secure the stuffing. Stuff the chicken with prepared onion-pear mixture. Push the chicken legs inside and seal the tail using another toothpick.Place the stuffed chicken on the greased baking tray.
- Place potato wedges and carrot pieces on the worktop. Add salt, remaining mixed dried herbs and crushed peppercorns on top of it and mix. Put the potato-carrot mixture around stuffed chicken and drizzle some oil on top.
- Place the baking tray in preheated oven and roast for 10-15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 150°C and roast for 1 hour basting some butter after every 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.