We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Sweet Pongal with Rose Chikki
½- ¾ cup split skinless green gram
1 cup rice, soaked
¼ cup fresh rose petals
½ cup chopped jaggery
3 cups milk
¼ cup ghee
A pinch saffron strands
½ tsp green cardamom powder
½ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ cup cashewnuts
¼ cup raisins
½ cup castor sugar
1½ tbsps rose syrup
- Dry-roast split green grams in a deep-non-stick pan till light brown. Add soaked rice and mix. Add milk, mix and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- To make jaggery syrup, heat jaggery in another non-stick pan. Add some water and cook till jaggery melts. Add the syrup to green gram-rice mixture, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Heat ghee in another non-stick pan.
- Add saffron, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder to green gram-rice mixture, mix and cook till reduced.
- Add cashewnuts and raisins to hot ghee and fry till golden. Add it to green gram-rice mixture alongwith ghee and mix well. This is pongal.
- To prepare rose chikki, heat castor sugar in another non-stick pan and cook till it caramelizes. Add rose petals and rose syrup and swirl to mix.
- Place a silicon mat on the worktop, pour and spread the caramelized sugar-rose mixture and cool till it semi sets.
- Cut the spread caramelizedsugar-rose mixture into roundels using a medium size cookie cutter and let it fully set.
- Fill 2 ceramic bowls with some pongal.
- Remove the chikki roundels and discard the excess. Place each rose chikki disc on top of pongal, covering it and serve immediately.