We are cooking up a treat.
It will be served shortly...
Thai Baked Chicken With Fried Rice
2 boneless chicken breasts,cut into 1 inch cubes
3 inch piece lemon grass
1 inch galangal
½ inch ginger
3 green chillies
4-6 makrut (kaffir)lime leaves
Salt to taste
1 spring onion greens stalk
6-8 fresh basil leaves
8-10 fresh coriander sprigs
Few drops olive oil
½ cup coconut milk
Zest of 1 makrut (kaffir) lime
Rock salt as required
2 spring onion bulbs
Micro greens for garnishing
3 cups cooked brown rice
6-8 cluster beans (gavar)
1 inch ginger
2-3 garlic cloves
½ green chilli
1 tsp oil
2 makrut(kaffir) lime leaves
1 spring onion bulb
6-8 ivy gourds (tendli)
Salt to taste
2-3 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp soy sauce
Few fresh coriandersprigs + for garnishing
Crushed black peppercorns to taste
1. Roughly chop 2 inches lemon grass and add to a blender jar. Add galangal, ginger, slit green chillies, 2-3makrut lime leaves, salt, spring onion greens, 3-4 basil leaves, coriander sprigs and water as required and blend to a smooth paste.
2. Preheat oven to 180º C.
3. Put the chicken cubes in a bowl. Add the paste, salt and olive oil and mix well. Add coconut milk and mix. Add the makrut lime zest and mix well.
4. Transfer the chicken cubes in a coconut shell and place it on a baking tray filled with rock salt.
5. Slit spring onion bulbs and add to the chicken. Add remaining basil leaves, crushed peppercorns, remaining makrut lime leaves and lemon grass. Cover with an aluminium foil, put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked.
6. To make the fried rice, blanch the cluster beans, finely chop the ginger, garlic and green chilli.
7. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies.
8. Slice makrut lime leaves and spring onion bulb and add alongwith ivy gourds, blanched cluster beans and salt, mix and sauté for 2 minutes.
9. Tear basil leaves and add alongwith soy sauce and brown rice and toss well.
10. Chop coriander sprigs and add alongwith crushed peppercorns, toss and sauté for 2 minutes. Transfer the fried rice on a serving plate, garnish with some coriander leaves.
11. Remove the chicken from the oven and discard the foil.
12. Garnish with micro greens and serve hot with fried rice.